There are a couple of things I'd like to accomplish through this project:
1.) Keep all material in the cloud. I plan to keep all drafts and source documents on Flickr or in Google Docs. In fact, I don't really need MS Word, because I can work in the cloud and never have to pay a thing.
2.) Print nothing. Did you know we have a problem with global warming? And today does happen to be Earth Day.
3.) Spend money only on a book doctor. After I have a draft, I plan to hire someone to edit and shape the book so that it is actually readable. I've read that many self-published authors hire their own editors to help, and I think this would be helpful. But I am long way from that... must get a draft together first.
4.) Produce a full length eBook and print-on-demand (POD) trade paperback simultaneously and make both available as broadly as possible.
5.) Force self to actually tell people about the project. Once I am out of the closet, I'll have to keep at it. 43 Things has a site dedicated to public goal setting. Writing a book is currently the number two goal of all time.
6.) Spend time developing an audience and marketing the book using social media and free online tools.
7.) Work only nights and weekends.
8.) Bore no one with the ideas or plans for the book unless they stumble upon this blog.
9.) Develop a voice. And a point of view. Attention to tone, humor, and nuance.
10.) Enjoy the process. Digging through old journals, scanning faded photographs, tracking down stories from my family for relevant anecdotes and stories. This is an act of appreciation.
No comments:
Post a Comment