Saturday, May 7, 2011

What it's gonna take...

Okay, this isn't going to be easy.

Aside from the basic challenges of developing intelligent prose on a topic that is of interest to at least 5 other people, there are some fundamental logistical challenges to the accomplishment of my goal of completing and self-publishing a book before my next birthday. Here they are - and then I promise not to complain again (note that I am crossing my fingers as I type that).

1.) I do have a day job. And it is one that I love. It keeps me quite busy, thank you very much, and for some reason this year seems to be chock full o'travel. Normally that would be a-okay with me, but it's difficult to pull off in view of...
2.) I have a baby! I love him. He is, in fact, the light of my life. No kidding! Who knew?! I feel like I should write a personal apology to all of my friends who had babies before me for not realizing how tremendously awesome babies and kids actually are! In truth I was afraid of children (they puke! they are mean to each other!) until now.
3.) The combo pack is the hardest. Red-eye for me from SF last night and today the baby didn't get his afternoon nap. So of course, now, I am exhausted, he is over tired and unable to get to sleep. His crying actually makes my c-scar ache (at some point I'll probably tell his birth story - even though no one really wants to read it - except other moms-to-be or recently made mom's looking for comparable experiences).
4.) Then there are all of the other things I should be doing: like vacuuming, scrubbing the tub - or at the very least calling a cleaning lady to do these things. Next would be getting exercise. Let's just say that if I were to create a scale entitled 'State of My Health', 10 would be compared to the shape I was in on my wedding day - months of high fiber, low fat eating, walking and hours of pilates meant I was thin, but more importantly, I was actually remarkably healthy. At the other end of the spectrum, I'd put the comparison to 1 equal to about how I am doing right now. Never did any post op physical therapy, nor a minute of pilates or yoga. No time. Am eating badly, sleeping too little and generally not making my health the priority that it ought to be. Sad to admit this on mother's day eve. If my mom told me this information, I'd get very cross with her.

So, I don't know how to solve all of these things, other than to say the following: I have about 2 hours each evening after the baby goes to sleep to be productive. This fluctuates by evening of course (if he is up late because he missed his nap, I have less time), and sometimes, I have other work to do or I am on the road (from previously mentioned, beloved day job). Yet, under no circumstances will I exercise between 8 and 10pm - I simply know myself and I won't do it.

So, I'll be writing. The biggest conflict for this particular time seems to be mindless (and sometimes mindful) television. I'll try not to get too addicted to bad TV. Right now I am really only interested in two shows: The Good Wife and the George RR Martin mini-series on HBO.

Seems like I could still pump out some material a few times each week, no?

Oh, I didn't even mention this blog as a distraction. Probably. Yeah. But I am in the camp that when you announce your intention to do something, you are more likely to succeed. So we can look at the blog 2 ways: 1.) a distraction, 2.) a useful tool to keep me on track and focused. Likely both.

No comments:

Post a Comment